What is cannabidiol (CBD)?
CBD is a natural substance found in cannabis. CBD does not contain tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the psychoactive ingredient found in marijuana that produces a psychotropic effect. The usual formulation of CBD is oil, but it is also sold as an extract, vaporised liquid and oil capsules. Food, beverages and beauty products are some of the many CBD-infused products available on the internet (and in our online shop).
Benefits of cannabidiol in cosmetics.
Natural CBD extract can have soothing and calming effects on the skin and protects it from harmful environmental influences. Cannabidiol contains a strong antioxidant value, as well as vitamin E and Omega 3 and 6. Not only that: it also has a beneficial effect on cell regeneration, inhibits the loss of collagen and prevents premature skin ageing, and has also shown great results in the treatment of pathologies such as psoriasis or eczema. Precisely for this reason, it is also widely used in cosmetics and is one of the many reasons why it is the star ingredient in all our formulas.
CBD has also been shown to have the following properties on the skin:
- AcneCBD has sebum-regulating and anti-bacterial properties, which makes it ideal for acne sufferers. It also has proven anti-inflammatory properties, so it will help to reduce the inflammation of acne. Although sebum helps protect our skin, excess sebum can also cause acne. This study indicates that CBD can prevent sebocytes from creating too much sebum.
- PsoriasisCBD has the ability to bind to receptors in the body that are part of the human cannabinoid system, called endocannabinoids, which can influence pain, itching and inflammation mechanisms, all related to psoriasis.
- Dryness and itchingA 2019 study indicates that CBD may be helpful in treating some common symptoms of skin conditions, such as dryness and itching. As CBD oil can help soothe the skin and reduce the occurrence of irritation, it may be useful for people with sensitive skin.
- Anti-Aging EffectCBD or CBD oil has antioxidant properties. Oxidative stress can contribute to the skin and cellular ageing process. Therefore, the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of CBD can help prevent the onset of skin ageing, especially photo-ageing.
How does CBD work on the skin?
The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is actively involved in the maintenance of the dynamic balance of the skin, due to its role in the formation and preservation of the skin barrierThe main factors that affect the development, growth and differentiation of cells, the balance of lipid production, among others.
The so-called CB1 and CB2 cannabinoid receptors (present in the SEC) are found in skin cells and are lipidic in nature. CBD interacts with our own receptors and thus modulates their response to favour the sebum regulation skin and exercise effects emollients and soothing.
What skin types is CBD recommended for?
CBD has all the potential to be a great ally for all those people with the sensitive skin or reactive skin. It regulates sebum production, reduces redness, soothes and moisturises and brings a natural glow to the skin. Its great potential to regulate skin processes offers a natural remedy that soothes and calms the dermis.
Current regulation in Spain
In Spain at present CBD is allowed to be used for cosmetic application products, in oils, creams or serums. However, only cosmetics made from seeds and extract of their leaves can be legally produced in Spain.
Cosmetics with cannabidiol or CBD
CBD is a very versatile ingredient, It can be found in different types of cosmetic products such as:
The CBD oil format is a liquid format that in some cases can take time to be absorbed. Although it is not regulated in Spain, according to statistics, most users of CBD oil use it sublingually, which is the most effective way to use it to treat sleep problems or pain.
Cannabis 10% CBD:CBG Cannabis OilProduct on sale
Generally do not contain only CBD, but other ingredients are added to itand are made of dense textureas our CHILL CREAM which, in addition to CBD, contains CBG, Ceramides, Niacidamine and Hyaluronic Acid.
Cream with CBD and Niacinamide51,90 €
Generally serums are used to prepare the skin before using other cosmetic elements, with a non-greasy texture and more concentrated active ingredients. Like our RITUAL SERUM, which also contains 1% of Bakuchiol, Jojoba, Rosehip and Vitamin E.
- Baswan, S. M. et al. Therapeutic Potential of Cannabidiol (CBD) for Skin Health and Disorders. Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology 2020:13 927-942.
- Candela García, E. & J. P. Espada Sánchez. A historical review on the uses of Cannabis and its regulation. Salud y drogas, vol. 6, no. 1, 2006, pp. 47-70.
- Dhadwal, G. and M. G. Kirchhof. The Risks and Benefits of Cannabis in the Dermatology Clinic. J Cutan Med Surg. 2018 Mar/Apr;22(2):194-199.
- Maida, V. et al. Topical cannabis-based medicines - A novel paradigm and treatment for non-uremic calciphylaxis leg ulcers: An open label trial. Int Wound J. 2020;17:1508-1516.
- Tennstedt, D. & A. Saint-Remy. Cannabis and skin diseases. Eur J Dermatol 2011; 21(1): 5-11.