The rosacea is a chronic condition of the skin. which affects millions of people worldwide. It is characterised by redness, swelling and outbreaks of small bumps on the skin, especially on the face. Rosacea can be very uncomfortable and can affect the self-esteem of sufferers. But the CBD can be of great help in calming the redness of rosacea.
What is rosacea?
Rosacea is a condition skin chronicle which is characterised by redness, swelling and outbreaks of small bumps on the skin, especially on the face. It is known that CBD has great anti-inflammatory power and that is why it could help the most with rosacea.
The exact cause of rosacea is not yet fully understood, but it is thought to be related to chronic inflammation in the skin. Some common triggers include sun, heat, stress, certain foods and drinks, and skin care products containing irritating ingredients.
While there is no cure for rosacea, there are several treatments available that can help control symptoms. These include topical and oral medications, such as the CBD oils intense pulsed light therapy and changes in diet and lifestyle.
Symptoms of rosacea
The symptoms of rosacea can vary from person to person, but the most common include:
- Persistent facial redness, especially on the cheeks, nose, forehead and chin.
- Small, red bumps on the skin, often filled with pus or fluid.
- Skin sensitivity and itching.
- Burning or stinging sensation in the skin.
- Dryness and flaking of the skin.
- Redness and thickening of skin tissue (rhinophyma).
Types of Rosacea
Rosacea is classified into four subtypes:
- Erythematotelangiectatic rosacea: is characterised by persistent facial redness and dilation of superficial blood vessels in the skin.
- Papulopustular rosacea: is characterised by small red pus-filled bumps on the skin.
- Phymatous Rosacea: is characterised by thickening of the skin and enlargement of the sebaceous glands in the nose, which can lead to a facial deformity called rhinophyma.
- Ocular Rosacea: is characterised by inflammation and redness of the eyes, which may be sensitive to light and cause dryness and itching.
Find out why CBD is so effective against rosacea
The inflammation is one of the main symptoms of rosacea.but CBD has been shown to have effects on anti-inflammatories y antioxidants in the body.
This is because our body has a endocannabinoid system which contains many receptors that respond to CBD. Therefore, when there is an imbalance in any system of the body, CBD can help to restore balance and alleviate symptoms by interacting with endocannabinoid receptors.
In addition, theanxiety and stress can trigger rosaceabut the CBD oil may have anxiolytic and anti-stress properties that could help.
In addition, certain skin mites and the intestinal bacteria Helicobacter pylori can activate the body's defence system, leading to inflammation and facial redness. However, the anti-inflammatory property of CBD can help ease these symptoms and reduce the associated pain.
Finally, the sun's rays can also worsen the symptoms of rosacea. Fortunately, CBD has antioxidant properties that can protect the skin from harmful UV rays.
What do the studies say?
While further research is needed to determine the efficacy and safety of the use of CBD as a treatment for rosacea, some initial studies suggest that can be beneficial.
A study of 2014 published in The Journal of Clinical Investigation found that CBD has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that may help reduce inflammation and skin irritation associated with rosacea.
Researchers also found that CBD can inhibit sebum production, which may help reduce acne breakouts associated with rosacea.
Another 2022 study published in the Journal of Dermatological Science also found that CBD may have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that can help reduce inflammation and skin redness in rosacea patients.
In 2018, a study looked at the effects of CBD for treating skin conditions. As a result, it was found to significantly reduce inflammation.
While these studies are promising, more research is needed to determine the efficacy and safety of CBD as a treatment for rosacea.
If you have rosacea, it is important to talk to a doctor or dermatologist before using any CBD product to treat the condition.
How to use CBD to treat rosacea?
While more studies are needed to determine the efficacy and safety of using CBD to treat rosacea, there are several ways you can use CBD to help control symptoms.
- CBD oil: The CBD oil can be applied topically directly to the affected skin. Most CBD oils have properties anti-inflammatory y antioxidantswhich can help to reduce the reddeninginflammation and other symptoms of rosacea.
- CBD capsulesCBD capsules can be taken orally and can help reduce inflammation and other symptoms of rosacea from within. Some people also find that CBD capsules can help reduce stress and anxiety, which can be triggers for rosacea. (Not regulated in Spain).
- CBD creams: The CBD creams and lotions can also be applied directly to the affected skin. Some CBD creams are specifically designed to relieve the symptoms of rosacea, and may contain other anti-inflammatory ingredients such as aloe vera, vitamin E and oil jojoba.
As we have seen, CBD can offer a number of effective benefits for the treatment of rosacea. Although oral or sublingual consumption is thought to be the best way to administer it, topical application can also be helpful in alleviating the symptoms of the skin condition.
- Cannabidiol exerts sebostatic and anti-inflammatory effects on human sebocytes. Attila Oláh, et al. 2014.
- Rosacea: a Clinical Review. Carsten Sauer Mikkelsen, et al. 2016.
- Rosacea: the unwanted facial redness. Dermatology Team, Clínica Alemana. 2017.
- Psychosocial aspects of rosacea with a focus on anxiety and depression
- Monika Heisig and Adam Reich. 2018.
- The Therapeutic Potential of Cannabinoids in Dermatology. Dustin H. Marks and Adam Friedman. 2018.
- What Is Rosacea? Stephanie Watson. 2019. WebMD.